Monica Ulibarri, Ph.D.
Ph.D., Arizona State University
M.A., Arizona State University
B.A., Claremont McKenna College
Dr. Ulibarri's research focuses on HIV prevention with marginalized populations such as female sex workers, people who inject drugs, drug-involved couples, and commercially sexually exploited youth along the Mexico-U.S. border, with an emphasis on how gender-based violence, mental health, substance use, intersect with HIV risk behaviors. Two of her more recent studies examined the commercial sexual exploitation of adolescent girls in San Diego County.
Dr. Monica Ulibarri is an Associate Professor and Associate Program Director in the California School of Professional Psychology Clinical Psychology Ph.D. Program at Alliant International University - San Diego, and holds an appointment as Associate Adjunct Clinical Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of California, San Diego. Dr. Ulibarri received her B.A. in Psychology and Spanish from Claremont McKenna College, and her M.A. and Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology from Arizona State University. She completed her pre-doctoral internship at Kaiser Permanente in San Diego. Dr. Ulibarri received a NIMH Research Supplement to Promote Diversity in Health-Related Research for her postdoctoral fellowship in the Department of Psychiatry at UCSD. Dr. Ulibarri also received postdoctoral training in UCSD's Division of Global Public Health.
- Palinkas, L. A., Robertson, A.M., Syvertsen, J.S., Hernandez, D.O., Ulibarri, M.D., Rangel, M.G., Martinez, G., Strathdee, S.A. (2015). Measuring current drug use in female sex workers and their non-commercial partners in Mexico: Concordance between data collected from surveys versus semi-structured interviews. Substance Use and Misuse. 2015 Dec 18:1-11 [Epub ahead of print].
- Bazzi, A.R., Syvertsen, J.L., Rolon, M.L., Martinez, G., Rangel, G., Vera, A., Amaro, H., Ulibarri, M.D., Hernandez, D.O., Strathdee, S.A. (2016). Social and structural challenges to drug cessation among couples in Northern Mexico: Implications for drug treatment in underserved communities. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 2016 Feb; 61: 26-33 [Epub 2015 Sep 21].
- **Lindsay, R.P., Roesch, S., Strathdee, S.A., Rangel, G., Staines, H., Abramovitz, D., Ulibarri, M.D., Rusch, M.L. (in press). Correlates of unprotected sex by client type among female sex workers who inject drugs along the Northern Mexico border. International Journal of Alcohol and Drug Research.
- Conners, E.E., Silverman, J.G., Ulibarri, M.D., Magis-Rodriguez, C., Strathdee, S.A., Staines-Orozco, H., Patterson, T.L., Brouwer, K.C. (in press). Structural determinants of client perpetrated violence among female sex workers in two Mexico-U.S. border cities. AIDS and Behavior.
- Seidman, D., Rusch, M., Abramovitz, D., Stockman, J., Martinez, G., Rangel, G., Vera, A., Ulibarri, M.D., Strathdee, S.A. (in press). Intravaginal practices among female sex workers along the U.S.-Mexico border: Implications for emerging HIV prevention methods. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- Daniel-Ulloa, J., Ulibarri, M.D., Baquero, B., Sleeth, C., Harig, H., Rhodes, S.D. (in press). Behavioral HIV prevention interventions among Latinas in the U.S.: A systematic review of the evidence. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health.
- *Peña, J.M., **Garcini, L.M., **Gutierrez, A.P., Ulibarri, M.D., & Klonoff, E.A. (2016). Traumatic events and symptoms among Mexican deportees in a border community. Journal of Immigrant & Refugee Studies. [Epub 2016 Jun 20].
- Ulibarri, M.D., **Salazar, M., Syvertsen, J.L., Bazzi, A.R., Rangel, M.G., Staines, H., Strathdee, S.A. (in press). Intimate Partner Violence among Female Sex Workers and Their Non-commercial Male Partners in Mexico: A Mixed-Methods Study. Violence Against Women.
- Kremer, P., Ulibarri, M.D., Ferraiolo, N., Vargas Ojeda, A.C., Burgos, J.L., Ojeda, V.D. (in press). Adverse childhood experiences are associated with depression in Latino migrants residing in Tijuana, Mexico. The Permanente Journal.